FREE Case Evaluation
Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney
David Benowitz is a well-known and respected Maryland criminal defense attorney. He began his career with the prestigious Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, consistently rated as one of the best public defender offices in the country. As a Staff Attorney, he represented thousands of clients on allegations of the most serious nature, including first degree murder, armed robbery and carjacking, and first degree sexual abuse. He has tenaciously and successfully defended both juveniles and adults in complex criminal litigation before judges and juries.
Upon graduating with honors from the University of Pennsylvania, David attended the George Washington University School of Law, where he graduated near the top of his class. He was a member of the Law Review and Moot Court Board and participated in the D.C. Law Students in Court Program. After several years of practice, David attended Temple University’s Beasley School of Law and earned a masters of law degree in Trial Advocacy.
David has been awarded the highest AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell and enjoys a perfect 10/10 score on the highly-respected AVVO rating system. He is also currently the only Washington, DC criminal defense attorney to be certified as a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. David has been recognized as a Super Lawyer from 2013-2015, and as a Top Attorney by Washington Post Magazine.
David is a faculty member at Harvard Law School’s renowned Trial Advocacy Workshop. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the National Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Trial Lawyers. He is barred in the District of Columbia and Maryland and is admitted to the United States District Courts of the District of Columbia and Maryland.
David and the other Maryland criminal lawyers at our firm bring the same client-focused approach to each case they handle, while understanding that every client has a unique set of needs and goals and requires specific strategies tailored to their situation. He has the knowledge to understand the way to approach your case and the experience to carry it out in a way that gives you the best chance to succeed.
- Represented Baltimore City police officer in large-scale corruption investigation
- Represented Department of the Army contracting officer in largest domestic bribery and bid-rigging case in the history of federal contracting
- Successfully represented small businessman in “Africa Sting” FCPA case dismissed by the Department of Justice
- Defended CEO of an IT company in 3 million dollar federal fraud investigation
- Represented CEO of company in multi-year procurement fraud investigation
- Obtained significant sentencing departure for pharmaceutical exporter in conspiracy and misbranding case in federal court
- Defended government contractor facing mail fraud and aggravated identity theft charges in federal court
- Successfully defended accountant charged federally with embezzlement in federal court
- Obtained significant sentencing variance for businessman facing federal real estate fraud charges
- Defended civilian contractor on bribery and obstruction of justice charges
- Successfully defended police officer on multiple theft of honest services charges
- Successfully defended Immigration and Customs Enforcement official on fraud charges
- Obtained dismissal of all charges against client charged with forcible child sexual abuse in Maryland state court
- Obtained dismissal of all charges against government scientist charged with Attempted Murder in Maryland state court
- Obtained acquittal at trial for student charged with forcible rape
- Obtained dismissal of all charges stemming from multiple sexual assault investigation of entrepreneur
- Represented police officer on multiple charges of sexual assault
- Obtained dismissal of federal enticement charge carrying mandatory minimum 10 year sentence
- Successfully defended management consultant on federal enticement charge
- Obtained dismissal of forcible rape and kidnapping charges against businessman following preliminary hearing
- Obtained dismissal of all charges against an attorney
Violent Crimes and Drug Charges
- Successfully defended client charged with bank robbery in United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- Obtained complete dismissal of First Degree Murder and drug trafficking charges against government employee
- Obtained acquittal on armed carjacking charges at trial for client
- Obtained acquittal on all counts at trial for client charged with felony Assault on a Police Officer
- Obtained dismissal of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon charges for student
- Obtained acquittal at trial on all charges for client charged with Armed Robbery
- Obtained acquittal at trial for client charged with Obstruction of Justice
- Obtained acquittal in trials for numerous clients charged with Possession With Intent to Distribute Cocaine
- Obtained reversal from United States Circuit Court and dismissal of drug trafficking charges
- Obtained acquittal at trial for client on drug trafficking charges