FREE Case Evaluation
Ocean City Theft Lawyer
If you have been accused of taking something that is not yours, an Ocean City theft lawyer will help you fight against the criminal charges you are facing. Conviction for theft can have a profound impact on your future and can take away your freedom. A theft lawyer in Ocean City will work hard to help you avoid conviction or get the best outcome that is possible given the circumstances of your case.
How Can an Ocean City Theft Lawyer Help You?
If a prosecutor cannot prove an owner was intentionally deprived of the value of his property, there can be no conviction for a theft offense. The prosecutor has the burden of proving each element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
An Ocean City theft lawyer can keep evidence of stolen property out of court if it was found during an illegal search that violated the Fourth Amendment. An Ocean City theft lawyer can also argue that a mistake was made, that you had a rightful claim to the property, or that entrapment occurred and you committed a crime you otherwise wouldn’t have if law enforcement had not enticed you.
Those are just a few of many possible defenses that can be raised in theft cases. The right approach to responding to charges should be determined based on the specifics of your case. Call an Ocean City theft lawyer for the legal advice you need to make informed choices and make your way through the case against you.
Ocean City Theft Laws
There are multiple laws in the Maryland criminal code that prohibit different types of theft in Ocean City:
The general offense of theft includes any attempt to willfully and knowingly deprive the rightful owner of any of the value of his or her property. This can include taking property; concealing or abandoning property; failing to make attempts to return lost or mislaid property to a rightful owner; or possessing property with knowledge that it is stolen.
Prohibitions against theft also extend to theft of services, as Code Section 7-104 prohibits obtaining services available for compensation without paying or permission. For more specific information on the charges you are facing contact an Ocean City theft lawyer as soon as possible.
Ocean City Theft Penalties
The value of the items taken determines whether theft is a misdemeanor or felony offense.
- Theft of items valued at less than $100 is a misdemeanor with a possible penalty of 90 days jail time and $500 in fines.
- Theft of items valued at $100 to less than $1,000 is a misdemeanor with a possible penalty of 18-months jail time and $500 fines.
- Theft of items valued at $1,000 to less than $10,000 is a felony with a possible penalty of 10 years and a possible fine of up to $10,000.
- Theft of items valued at $10,000 to less than $100,000 is a felony with a possible penalty of 15 years imprisonment and a possible fine of $15,000.
- Theft of items at $100,000 or higher is a felony with a potential penalty of $25,000 and 25 years imprisonment.
The item(s) allegedly stolen may need to be returned to the owner or the owner may be entitled to compensation for the value of the items. Call today to set up a free consultation with an Ocean City theft lawyer.