FREE Case Evaluation
2017 Kush Arora Federal Justice Reform Scholarship
PLEASE NOTE: HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP
We are pleased to announce the 2017 Kush Arora Federal Justice Reform Scholarship. This is our third year offering this scholarship. Here is more information on our Past Winners.
As a dedicated Maryland criminal defense attorney, Kush Arora focuses his practice on representing individuals who have been accused of a variety of offenses, from misdemeanors to felonies. The work of a criminal defense attorney is as tough as it is important. That is because the presumption of innocence, what many of us know as the right to be considered innocent until proven otherwise, is the cornerstone of our justice system. As such, it requires sound legal counsel for all those accused. Sometimes, it is the laws that are flawed. In other instances, the way in which penalties are calculated and administered may be unduly punitive.
Mr. Arora takes his role and responsibilities within the Maryland criminal justice system very seriously. He also takes seriously the need for students to recognize whether they believe the laws that govern society are just or unjust, and why. These traits are valuable in all citizens, not just criminal justice professionals, and Mr. Arora is dedicated to providing financial support and academic recognition to those who will pursue or support reasoned legal reform in the future.
Whether those goals are met with a law degree and practice, by pursuing a degree in another field that works within the criminal justice system, or through civic participation, Mr. Arora understands that the success of the criminal justice system depends on the success of the bright young women and men who are pursuing their academic and professional dreams today. To help them achieve their goals, and to further bolster the system that he so proudly serves, Mr. Arora has established the Kush Arora Criminal Justice Reform Scholarship. This scholarship will award $500 to a deserving student who has demonstrated a thoughtful, well-reasoned view of whether certain laws and criminal justice policies are just or unjust.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- The scholarship program is available to undergraduate, graduate, and law school students as well as incoming college freshmen.
- The candidate must be in good academic standing with at least a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
The Kush Arora Criminal Justice Scholarship program invites all candidates who meet the aforementioned criteria to apply. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following:
- Applicants must submit a 1,000-word essay responding to one of the following prompts (they will be judged on the best-reasoned response, not on the position of the applicant):
- Provide a well-reasoned argument about whether a specific policy in the criminal justice system (your choice) is unjust and requires reform, or is just and should stay the same.
- Applicants must also submit a current academic transcript from the applicant’s school, or an academic transcript of the applicant’s most recent school (including the applicant’s most recent year in school).
- A completed application cover sheet (opens in PDF)
Application Instructions and Deadline:
To be considered eligible for this scholarship, interested students must submit a completed application along with the above requirements. The application must be submitted no later than November 31, 2017 to email@example.com. The winner will be notified Winter 2017.
For questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.